Improving Your Home

Is your home in need of repairs? HomeStart can help you connect with area resources! When possible, we can help eligible homeowners find grant and/or loan programs to help with repair needs.

The Single-Family Rehabilitation Program with the Roof-Only Option

HomeStart has funding available for homeowners in Winnebago and Boone counties (excluding the City of Rockford) through the Illinois Housing Development Authority Trust Fund for the Single-Family Rehab Program with the Roof-Only Option. This program is intended to assist homeowners with necessary repairs to improve the quality of single family homes throughout Illinois and the vibrancy of neighborhoods in our communities.

The Single-Family Rehabilitation Program grants eligible homeowners a five-year forgivable loan to assist with the roof repair and to remove health and safety hazards. Homeowners interested in applying for this program must meet the following requirements, which includes but is not limited to:

  1. Home must be located in Boone and Winnebago Counties
  2. Homeowner must meet income guidelines
  3. Homeowner must own and occupy the home as the primary residence

If you are located in Stephenson and Jo Daviess counties, the Northern Illinois Community Action Agency (NICAA) has funds for roof repair, please go to their website for more information. To learn more about this program and to be listed on the interested parties list, please call our office at 815-962-2011.

Home Improvement Options for Rural Areas

If you live within Northern Illinois, you may qualify for the USDA’s Rural Development 504 Repair Loan. Some advantages of the program include:

  • 1% interest rate
  • 20 year repayment plan

Applicants 62 years of age or older may qualify for grant funds under the Rural Development 504 Repair Loan. For more information, view the USDA 504 FAQ document.

If you own your home and are interested in more information about the program, contact us.

improving your home before


improving your home after


We envision thriving neighborhoods where everyone has equal access to quality housing opportunities.